Meet Avery, a senior at UNC getting ready to graduate with her Comprehensive Higher Education Certificate in Communications! While attending GOAL, Avery has grown in her self-advocacy and independence skills. Avery says, "Be respectful with your disability. Get respect. If you have a disability, don't ignore them. Speak up for yourself!" She says she learned about her self-advocacy skills in her GOAL class, where she also learned to set goals for herself. As she looks ahead to graduation, she is very excited to reach this milestone and begin planning life after college. Check out her senior video to find out more about her college experience!
- School: UNC
- Major: Communications
- Favorite Part of College: Meeting friends and being part of clubs. Clubs is my favorite memory! I am in 6 clubs. I'm going to miss meeting friends in my clubs.
- Plans After Graduation: I want to be a teacher for students who are 4-5 years old.
Avery's Words of Wisdom
- What has the opportunity to go to college meant for you?: It meant for me to be independent and do stuff on my own.
- What did you learn about yourself during college?: I worked hard and I'd like to get a job at the dining hall. I used to clean tables when I went to camp at Rocky Mountain Village, so I think I want to work at the dining hall.
- What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?: Work hard! It's not easy to work hard, but you get the hang of it. College is HARD! But you get mentor support to help you work harder. And you make friends and you live in the dorm!