Announcing Inspiring Futures College Mentorship Program
IN! is accepting applications for a free 6 week program to learn more about what life is like in college! Inspiring Futures is a chance for students thinking about college to meet and get to know current college students with intellectual disabilities. College mentors will be from University of Colorado Colorado Springs, and University of Northern Colorado, and Arapahoe Community College (these three schools offer inclusive services to students with intellectual disabilities).
Each week we will talk about college as a large group, then students will meet in a small group to talk individually with a mentor. Students will get to ask mentors questions about college and talk about what you want to do after high school. Some of the topics will include career options, living on your own, and self-advocacy.
This session is intended for students that:
- Are in their junior or senior year of high school or in a school district transition (18-21) program.
- Students living outside of the Denver and Colorado Springs metro areas. Priority will be given to students in rural areas and those outside of the Front Range.
- Have an intellectual disability or multiple disability (ID plus another disability) diagnosis.
- Have an interest in learning more about college.
- Can attend all sessions of the program. Sessions will take place virtually via Google Meet on Thursdays from 4:30-5:30pm. Session dates are: 10/21, 10/28, 11/4, 11/11, 11/18, 12/2.
Applications are due by September 26th.
- September 22: Info sessions at 12pm and 5:30pm, RSVP to email@example.com
- September 26: Mentee applications due
- September 27-Oct 1: Mentee interviews
- October 21: Weekly mentorship meetings begin
- December 2: Weekly mentor sessions end
IN! will host two other mentoring sessions next semester (January-March and April-May) that will target different areas of the state. If you are interested and want to be the first to know the details, send us an email to let us know!
Note for Teachers
We hope you will forward this email to students who you think would be a good fit! One of the goals of this program is for students to meet new people, so we cannot accept your whole class of students. With that said, we would love to chat about other ways to share college information with your classroom.